Being productive at work is something we all struggle with, but it is so easy to be better at it with just a bit more discipline.
Here is a quick guide to help increase your productivity at work:
- Be deliberate about how much time you spend on each task and stick to it. Set aside a certain amount of time for a task to complete it within the allotted time. There are plenty of apps available like Rescue Time to help track the time you spend on daily tasks.
- Create a task list daily and incorporate regular breaks. Studies show that taking short breaks during the work day helps maintain a constant performance level and improve concentration.
- Avoid scheduling meetings; when you have to, hold a standing meeting. Meetings have proven time and time again to waste time and be the biggest drainer of the day. If you must hold a meeting, consider hosting a meeting where everyone stands. It has shown to increase group performance and attentiveness.
- Don’t multitask. The popular notion that people who multitask are higher achievers is not true. Psychology research has shown that committing to a single task and then moving on to the next one is far more productive than trying to work on many things at once.
- Spruce up your office or work environment. Research has indicated that an office with plants, paintings or other decorations increases productivity by up to 15 percent. It also has shown to increase the happiness quotient at work.
- Reduce interruptions and distractions. If you are addicted to Facebook, consider downloading an app like JDarkRoom that gives you a blank space to write on- nothing more. By reducing interruptions, you can keep your mind focused and waste less time reorienting yourself to a “work mode.”