By Kach Medina
Co-Founder of Two Monkeys Travel Group.
Las Galeras is a small town located at the end of Samana, Dominican Republic. It is known to be a secluded oasis for some 3,000 people, both locals and foreigners. It is far from civilization and it used to be a quaint fishing village, often sleepy. Things have changed now since tourists have discovered its beauty and quickly, words have spread like wildfire. Now, this town is bustling with life albeit still secluded in nature.
We didn’t really know much about this town until we’ve met the people from the Dominican Expert. They are a company based in the Dominican Republic specializing in customized vacations to the most beautiful spots in the country, featuring pristine beaches, plenty of sunshine, and a jam-packed adventure. Whether you want a relaxed or active vacation, a cheap hostel or an all-inclusive one, and whatever else you want in particular, you’ll be sure to get your dream vacation by filling out their Travel Request Form.
Anyway, this is the last 2 days of my sister-in-law and her boyfriend here in the Dominican Republic and I’m glad we’ve spent it in Las Galeras 🙂
WHAT TO DO IN THE BEAUTIFUL LAS GALERAS
- Just keep swimming at the Playa Las Galeras and Playa Rincon- One thing I love about Las Galeras is how unspoiled their beaches are from the effects of mass tourism. They are both raw and truly peaceful. It’s hard to see places like these nowadays so pay a visit while it’s still at this state. If you have more time, you can also visit Las Terrenas.
- Go diving- The waters surrounding Las Galeras apparently are one of the most exciting dive sites in the Dominican Republic. We haven’t personally tried it but make sure you do! 🙂
- Join a Whale Watching Tour- If you happen to visit between January to March, then this excursion activity is a must. Seeing Humpback Whales on their natural habitat is insane and definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience! It is also cheaper to do this in the Dominican Republic compared to other parts of the world.
- Join an excursion activity at Los Haitises National Park- This is one thing you shouldn’t miss. It’s a natural park home to diverse mammals and birds, some of which are endemic to the island. It’s a lovely place to go cruising, bird watching, caving, and hiking. In fact, the rainforests in the park served as the filming location for Jurassic Park. Wow! This is definitely a must-visit in the Dominican Republic!
WHERE WE STAYED IN LAS GALERAS
Our last 2 nights traveling around the Dominican Republic were spent in a Private Cabana in Ocean View Eco Lodge, a property nestled in within the hilltop of La Guázuma, providing a stunning setting and a stunning view of the ocean. It is boasting with 14 cozy cottages, 16 bathrooms, and can accommodate up to 28 guests. They only do group bookings, in case you’re wondering (we’re just extremely lucky to be hosted by them) :p
Here’s what we love about them:
- It’s perfect for big groups- Whatever it is you are celebrating with your family, friends, and coworkers, be it a team building, a seminar, birthday, or even an intimate wedding, this place is absolutely perfect! The view is spectacular, the setting is magical, and the ambiance is so relaxing you’d never want to leave.
- They have the basic necessary equipment to cater to your events- They have a clubhouse comes which comes with a sound system, free Wi-Fi, barbecue, and a large and fully equipped kitchen. On the terrace, there is a large living and dining area, a bar, and a refrigerator.
- The infinity pool-Nope, this isn’t your ordinary infinity pool. What makes it different from the rest is that it overlooks lush vegetation and the blue ocean and it’s open 24/7. They have sunbeds too. Truly, this is their best asset. I think we spent all day here haha.
- You can get the chance to see the whales from here- Yes you read that right! If you’re lucky then you’ll get to see migrating humpback whales from the property. Try to visit from January to March and your chances of seeing them could increase from 0 to 80%! 🙂
- The services they offer- You’ll have the property to yourselves throughout your stay but you can always request for a cleaning service. A private chef who can cook plated or buffet meals, a waiter and a bartender can also be requested for a fee. For those too relaxed to go grocery shopping, again, they can do that upon request. They can also cook gourmet food for your wedding. Yum!
- The rooms are so cozy- The rooms is not extravagant but it sure is cozy. There’s no TV which makes it the perfect place to simply detach from the rest of the craziness in this world. The view from the rooms are truly breathtaking. This place is a true definition of tranquility.
- They have 24-hour Villa Manager- To attend to any concerns throughout your stay, a very nice and professional Villa Manager is available for 24 hours
- The 1000 sq.m. seminar/yoga area-Your stay here wouldn’t be complete without deeply inhaling the fresh air. Do some yoga and be rewarded with a clean mind, body, and soul. The bonus is you’ll get the best view! This area is perfect for weddings and seminars too.
I absolutely recommend this place for big groups. Here, you’ll find the perfect balance of privacy by not having anyone else in the property and comfort by having a Villa Manager to attend to your needs. For our last 2 nights traveling in the Dominican Republic, Ocean View Eco Lodge truly made it perfect. We wouldn’t have known this place without the help of the Dominican Expert. These guys sure know what they’re doing. If anyone of your plans to go to the Dominican Republic, go to their website and ask for their expert advice. Our itinerary was filled with adventures but they made sure we have enough time to rest and just take all the beauty of the Dominican Republic. They made our trip truly unforgettable! ♡