It is always a good idea to take risks in your life, as it is the only way to finally grow. We take risks with our career, fashion, and our hearts, so why not in the kitchen? MayShad provides the secrets to successfully make homemade Carpaccio:
- 1large shallot
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces lean beef, like tenderloin or top round
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed
- 1 small fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- A few arugula or parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chives
- Fruity extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1ounce Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Peel shallot, cut in thick slices and place in a small bowl. Add red wine vinegar and a pinch of salt. Toss and let marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Cut beef into four 1 1/2-ounce slices. Trim away any fat or gristle. Put each slice between 2 layers of heavy-duty plastic wrap or parchment. Gently pound beef flat with a meat mallet to a thickness of about 1/16 inch and a diameter of about 6 inches. Refrigerate flattened slices for a few minutes, until chilled (do not remove plastic). May prepare up to this point several hours ahead.
- To serve, peel top layer of plastic from each slice. Invert each slice onto a chilled plate. Peel away remaining plastic. Top each slice with some pickled shallot, an anchovy, capers, fennel, arugula and chives. Season each portion with salt and pepper and drizzle generously with olive oil (about 1 tablespoon). With a vegetable peeler, shave Parmesan into curls. Garnish Carpaccio with Parmesan and lemon wedges and serve immediately.
- You can make this beforehand so you have less stress when guests arrive and require some hors d’oeuvres or if there are other courses of the meal to prepare.
- The garnish is the most important part!
- You can roll the meat before you begin pounding with a mallet to save your arm strength.
- Serving this elevates your hospitality skills with ease!
Recipe and photo from: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014999-beef-carpaccio