By Mayshad Mag
Mayshad Magazine is an advocacy platform for empowerment which mainly focuses on empowering women, raising awareness and exploring a contemporary lifestyle.
These tasty cupcakes are a healthier version of those cupcakes we desperately want to eat but avoid due to oils and refined sugars. Nothing like a little zucchini and cricket powder from Entomo Farms to add energy and nutrients to your chocolate fix!
Chocolate Zucchini Cricket Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream
Made with Protein 2050 organic cricket powder
Makes 12 Cupcakes
2 Tbsp (20 g) Protein2050 organic cricket powder
1 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1/3 cup agave nectar or organic honey
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg white
1 cup shredded zucchini
¼ cup unsweetened organic applesauce
½ cup unsweetened almond milk
½ cup unsweetened chocolate chips
Strawberry Buttercream icing
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup strawberries, pureed
4 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- Remove excess water from zucchini using some paper towel to squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- In a bowl whisk together first group of dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a second bowl combine honey (or agave), coconut oil, vanilla, egg and egg white and use an electric or hand mixer on low until well-combined and smooth.
- Add zucchini, applesauce and almond milk and mix again.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until combined – do not over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter into the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until you can insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove to continue to cool completely before icing.
Strawberry Buttercream icing directions
- Cream together butter and strawberry puree using an electric or hand mixer.
- Add icing sugar and continue to mix until smooth.
- Frost some delicious cupcakes